WHAT IS BRAND STORYTELLING?
Stories have proven over the years to have a compelling effect on people, especially relatable stories. When people read real and intriguing stories, it has the ability to draw the reader in such a way that makes them see themselves in these stories if possible.
The term brand storytelling can be seen as the use of relatable and authentic stories to improve the loyalty of customers and build relationship between the brand and the customers. It involves connecting what you stand for as an organization to the values you want to share with your customers.
Related Article: What is Branding? 6 Undeniable Benefits of Investing in Branding
WHY TELLING GREAT AND RELATABLE STORIES ARE GOOD FOR YOUR BRAND
A lot of brands seek to affect their customers in ways that would enable them to understand the message that the brand passes and if possible, be a part of that story.
Telling a compelling story helps to transform a brand’s identity and it creates trust between the organization and the customer. Big companies like Apple and Coca-Cola have realized the importance of pushing and promoting a relatable story and this is a big reason why they have some of the most loyal customers around the world.
Stories are an important tool in human interaction. Humans are affected by visual content and to read and even experience a compelling story is to become a part of the brand’s story.
Brand stories are not advertisements, they appeal to customers in many ways. It is an obvious fact that a boring and abstract story would be bound to attract fewer customers but a great story that focuses on the image of the brand and makes the customers feel like they can be a small part of a large picture or family would definitely draw more long term customers.
People need people or brands they can trust, so building your brand’s story around a trustworthy individual or life experience is bound to appeal to the emotions of your prospective customers. A relatable story helps your audience to perceive your business in a particular way, it helps your customers connect with you and see your organization/brand as a living entity and they value your product more.
A true story helps your customers, even more, to relate to your product or the service you are rendering. Your brand’s story should involve true and real people that can inspire your customers, real-life situations that can make them be better individuals. People need someone or something to believe in and if you are capable of telling a real and compelling story about your brand that the average individual can easily relate to, you are on your way to building a legacy.
The Apple story shows the life of Steve Jobs and how he was able to build the company which is now one of the biggest tech companies in the world today. People read this story and feel like they can be like Mr. Jobs. People watch documentaries and see how the company incorporates the vision of Steve Jobs into selling their products and people want to be a part of that, people want to be loyal to that brand because they can relate to the story of the brand and are confident in the value of the commodity or product that the company puts out.
EXAMPLES OF BRAND STORYTELLING
There are a lot of successful brands that make use of brand storytelling. A few of them are:
- The Coca-Cola story
- The Airbnb Community story
- Nike equality campaign
- Red Bull Media House
- Dove campaigns.
HOW BRAND STORYTELLING IS TAKING SHAPE AS THE FUTURE OF MARKETING
The use of brand storytelling marketing has become more than a trend in our society today. Customers are getting more and more interested in brands that have believable and authentic life stories, especially stories that make the customers feel like they are a part of these brands.
A lot of brands spring up on a daily basis and brand storytelling is the way brands in the future would establish lasting relationships with their customers.
WHY HAVING AN AMAZING BRAND STORYTELLING STRATEGY IS CRITICAL ON THE PATH TO BECOMING A THOUGHT LEADER
The importance of having a good brand storytelling strategy cannot be overemphasized as a thought leader. It shows your customers that you are someone who inspires, someone who is innovative and creative. Your brand story can show your customers and even the world in general that you have what it takes to stand at the apex or the height of your field because you have built a platform where others can benefit and also follow in their footsteps to making mind-blowing changes in the world.
5 KEY ASPECTS THAT MAKE BRAND STORIES SUCCESSFUL
The importance of having a great brand story has been seen to have numerous positive effects on brands. It is essential that your brand’s story is told properly and here are some tips on how to get it right.
- Your story should have your customers in mind: A lot of brands have stories that focus on the value of the product or how much quality service they offer. However, a compelling brand story should focus on the customer or the consumer. A lot of brands make their customers feel special by making them feel like they are a part of the success story of the brand. The customers develop personal attachments to these brand stories and see these brands as an extended family.
- Your story should be able to have an emotional impact on your customers: Customers are humans, and humans are emotional beings. A lot of decisions I make as a person are based on my emotions. If you are able to establish an emotional connection with tour customers through your brand story, they would be hooked for life and would never forget how your brand makes them feel.
- Your story should show how much value you place on your product: A lot of customers would be more likely to value a product if the brand marketing the product sees value as a top priority. Top brands today like Coca-Cola and Apple have had chances over the years to compromise their product value but their stories especially that of Apple is built on the premise that the value placed on their products is second to none. Customers get in on this mentality and have the confidence to defend these brands anywhere in the world because they know full well the value of their products or services and this, in turn, helps to increase customer base because a lot of people would love to be associated with top quality brands.
- Your story should be captivating: People usually make decisions if they like a movie or book or a story within the first minutes or chapter. No one has the patience to wait till the end of a story before they decide that your brand is worth becoming a part of so hook them from the beginning so they can see clearly the message your brand is trying to pass across.
- Your story should be able to identify a problem and create a solution: What is the purpose of your product and what issue does it solve? If you can find a way to include the fact that your brand solves a major problem in your brand story, your brand’s story would come off as more convincing and draw more customers.
On your journey to become a thought leader in your industry, to increase customer’s loyalty and business growth, deciding on and leveraging your brand storytelling will be vital. People tend to become loyal to a brand that not only makes them feel confident about the quality of product or service, but also a brand that is relatable to them.
REFERENCES & FURTHER READING
Celinne da Costa. 3 Reasons Why Brand Storytelling Is The Future Of Marketing. https://www.forbes.com/sites/celinnedacosta/2019/01/31/3-reasons-why-brand-storytelling-is-the-future-of-marketing/#18d47c1755ff
Accessed on 27-09-2019.
Jessica Gioglio, Ekaterina Walter. 3 Brilliant Examples of Brand Storytelling You May Have Missed.